NOTE: Markings in red indicate relationship to Joanne Claire Warby (nee Hooper)
(3) Thomas Cain (1806-1887) m (1) Charlotte Ebben (1808- ) 3xGt Gpts
m1860 (2) Margaret Choice (1826- )
(Children from Thomas & Charlotte's marriage)
(4) Maria Cain (1833-1895) m1853 William Compton (1832-1878) 2xGt Gpts
(5) Maria & William's children under Compton Family Tree
(4) William Cain (1835- ) m 1856 (1) Ann Hudson (1836- )
m 1890 (2) Mary A Newbert (1859- )
(Children from William & Ann's marriage)
(5) William H Cain (1862- ) m1885 Isabella Ambrose (1862- )
(6) William John Cain (1887- )
(5) James Lewis Cain (1870- ) m1895 Jessie Sarah Davis (1870- )
(6) Ellen A Cain (1897- )
(4) Sarah Cain (1838- )
(4) Mary Ann Cain (1841- ) twin
(4) Ann Mary Cain (1841-bef 1851?) twin
(4) Susannah (Susan) Cain (1845- )
(5) Walter Thomas Cain (1864-1932) m Sarah Ann Greaves (1862- )
(6) Thomas Charles W Cain (1885- ) m Edith Unknown ( - )
(6) Florence R Cain (1887- ) m1916 Fred Chartres ( - )
(6) Edith Cain (1889- ) m Jim Alford ( - )
(6) William Cain (1890-1959) m1915 Edith O Travers (1893- )
(7) Margaret Edith Cain (1919- )
(7) Michael Ash Cain (1924- )
(7) Unknown Cain ( - )
(7) Unknown Cain ( - )
(6) Gertrude Cain (1895- ) m Percy Smith ( - )
(6) Walter Cain (1897- )
(6) Alfred Cain (1899-1918) see Roll of Honour
(6) Amelia Cain (1903-1999) m 1937 Sydney Gravett ( - )
(4) Thomas Cain (1847- ) m 1868 Charlotte Hix (1847- )
(5) Charlotte Cain (1869- )
(5) Charles Thomas Cain (1871- ) m 1891 Rachel Jane Stacey (1871- )
(6) Henry Thomas Cain (1892- )
(6) Charles William Cain (1894- )
(6) Alfred George Cain (1896- )
(6) Edwin John Cain (1898- )
(5) Rosa Edith Cain (1873- ) m 1897 Frederick William Jones ( - )
(5) Henry W Cain (1875- ) m 1898 Helena Agnes Linnell (1875- )
(6) Frances Cain (1899- )
(6) Dorothy Cain (1901- )
(5) Annie Maria Cain (1877- )
(4) Emma Cain (1851- )
FAMILY HISTORY(3) Thomas Cain snr (1806-1887) was born in 1806 in Friern Barnet, Whetstone (also spelt as Whitstone or Wheatstone in various records). Thomas married twice. His first marriage was to Charlotte Ebben the daughter of Joseph Ebben and Sarah Reed. Charlotte was born in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire and her mother Sarah (nee reed) was born in Saffron Walden in Essex. Thomas's second marriage in 1860 was to Margaret Choice a young lady 20 years his junior. Thomas died, aged 81, in Kentish Town on the 20th March 1887.
(4) Maria Cain (1833-1895) was the daughter of Thomas Cain & Charlotte Ebben. She was born on the 25th March 1833. Her birth place is given as Coney Hatch in some records but others list it as Whitstone. The 1841 Census in Kentish Town lists it as Whitstone and her father and siblings William, Sarah and Mary were also born here. Maria was christened on the 28th April 1833 in Friern Barnet. In the 1861 Census, for Kentish Town, Maria's father lists this as his birth place too. So various birth places are given for them all as to where they were actually born. Maria married William Compton on the 24th December 1853 in Staines, Stanwell, Windsor. William and Maria Compton had three children in England but only one of these children lived to emigrate to New Zealand with William and Maria. This surviving infant was named Charlotte who was born in 1859 in England and the next child, Rhoda, was born in 1861 in New Zealand. No listing of their emigration details has come to light but due to Charlotte and Rhoda's birth dates we can estimate this to be between 1859 and 1861.
(4) William Cain (1835- ) married twice. He first married Ann Hudson on the 23rd February 1856 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, Ann was the daughter of James & Rebecca Hudson of Birmingham, Warwickshire. William and Ann had two children. William Henry was born 1862 in Newton in Makerfield, Lancashire and brother James Lewis born 1870 in Willesden, Middlesex. William Cain's second marriage was to Mary Ann Newbert in 1890 in St Pancras. Mary Ann had two children born out of wedlock living with her and William Cain at the time of the 1891 Census taken in Acton, Middlesex. Mary Ann Newbert was the daughter of Alfred Newbert and Henrietta Ayling. William Cain's occupation is given throughout the census as Blacksmith.
(4) Susannah (Susan) Cain (1845- ) had a child, (5) Walter Thomas Cain (1864-1932), who was born out of wedlock. Walter married Sarah Ann Greaves. Their children were all born in the Kentish Town District of St Pancras, London. The address given was 11 Raglan Street, Kentish Town, St Pancras.
(5) William Cain (1862- ) married 1885 to Isabella Ambrose. He was a Blacksmith working for the Railway. He can be found living in Acton, Watford, and Willesdon in the various census records. His wife, Isabella was born in Barnet in Hertfordshire and their child, William, was born in Willesdon, Middlesex in 1887. Isabella Ambrose would have had a difficult childhood with all of her adolescent years spent in the Hatfield District Union Workhouse in Hatfield, Watford, Hertfordshire. Her unmarried mother, Mary Ambrose, appears to have four children out of marriage and she too, spent years listed in the Union Workhouse. Children listed for Mary were Isabella, Jane, Catherine and Mary Ann Ambrose. Isabella'a grandmother, Sarah Ambrose is also recorded as being a pauper in the Hatfield District Union Workhouse with two children, Mary & Louisa.
(5) Charlotte Cain (1869- ) the daughter of Thomas jnr (1847) & Charlotte Cain was christened on the 24th January 1869 in Silton, Dorsetshire.
(5) James L Cain (1870- ) was also employed by the Railway as an Engine Stoker at the time of the 1891 Cenus and an Engine Driver by 1901. His wife, Ellen was born in Willesden in 1887.
Also visit CENSUS RECORDS for Cain family