Rose Edmead's 1940 EMPIRE DAY Certificate
Rose and her family moved into the run down houses in Grosvenor Road, up The Graveyard as it was know locally. The adjustment must have been hard for Rose as she had been billeted in a home surrounded by excess and returned to a strange house that had been declared unfit to live in. Like everyone else, at this time, her life was ruled by rationing due to the war which did not end offically until 4th July 1954. The first month after Rose and Art married was spent living with Art's parents at Chapel Street, Pensnett, Brierley Hill. When Rose's sister, Elsie, decided she was moving back to London, Art and Rose took the oppurtunity and took over her house in Grosvenor Road. They were now neighbor's of Rose's parents. Althought not a salubrious house it did offer the couple a home to call their own. It was in this home that they started their family. First to arrive was Anthony, followed by Brian. The condition of the houses had become worse than ever and the neighbors had all moved out. Art and Rose were the last couple to move. It is interesting to know how the name The Graveyard came about. There are several different lines of thought. One is that it was said to be the burial ground for Quakers. Another is that the area lay just outside the old Dudley boundaries and during the great plague the rule was that the dead bodies had to be taken out of the town limits and that this was the area choosen to bury the dead. The third reson is listed in a 1932 church pamphlet that states "the district known as The Graveyard is said to have been a burying place for the inhabitants at the end of the parish who declined to use the church yard in Sedgley because it was to far away". Certainly by all the accounts a grim sounding place with grim sounding houses upon it.
Rose Warby (left) on holiday in Betwys-y-Coed with eldest child Tony c.1951
The Warby household was no different than many others of this time. Money was very tight even though Art worked seven days a week. Fresh meat was often a hare caught in the nearby woods and fileds. Art was able to continue having his daily pint of beer at the local pub by playing the piano in the bar. A hat was past around and Art was able afford to buy his pint. The outting to the pub also offered Art the chance to come by some 'wom fed bercon' which was a welcome treat at home. For those who don't know this was 'home feed bacon'. During Art and Rose's early years together a family holiday was non existent and a day trip was always a special family occasion. Seaside outtings were organized by a next door neighbor, Mrs Middleton, and a bus collected the family from 71 Boundary Hill and transported them to the seaside for the day. The first proper family holiday was to Bewdley and was spent in a quaint pint sized caravan. It would have been impossible for Art and Rose to imagine, during those early years, that one day they would take two trips to Australia to visit their son, Tony, who had emigrated to Australia in 1972.
When Arthur and Rose married Rose had been employed at the Scrim making bandages. At Arthur's request she left her job to become a full time housewife and mother. Later in life she returned to work doing part time house cleaning. Arthur started employment at the Baggeridge Brick Company situated at Gospel Eng, Sedgley on the 30th July 1951. His duties included maintenance and Machine Shop work. Baggeridge has been producing solid, non-perforated, wire cut, stock facing and engineering bricks at it's factory at Sedgley since the 1930's. The first kiln, a Super Staffordshire continuous kiln, was built in 1956. At this time pressed common bricks were produced from Etruria marl, obtained from a nearby quarry, and colliery shale ( a waste produce from the nearby colliery). The shale was delivered via a mechanical rope-way from the adjacent pit. In 1968 the colliery closed and clay was obtained from a clay pit at Himley, some one and a half miles from the works. As colliery shale was no longer used to make the bricks they had to be fired at 1150 degrees celsius. This resulted in products of much better quality and were known as engineering bricks. The original Staffordshire kiln was taken out of work in 1975. It was replaced by two specially designed intermittent kilns which, by 1978, had been joined by six more and the remaining two 'old' Staffordshire kilns were demoloished. This brought about a restructuring of the company. In 1977 Arthur had become a member of the '25 Year Club' and was very proud of his 25 years loyal service to Baggeridge. This club is reserved for employees who have served 25 years or more at the company and annual dinners are held and hosted by Lord Dudley. On the 24th December 1977 Arthur and many others were made redundant, due to this restructuring. Five weeks later he started work on the 30th January 1978 at Steetley Refractories Ltd at the Dibdale Plant but on the 16th March 1979 he and others were, once more made redundant. Art became to door man at the local British Legion, a position he enjoyed until his working days came to an end due to ill health.
71 Boundary Hill - Lower Gornal - Staffordshire (home to Rose & Arthur Warby for over 50 years)
In 1952 Art and Rose moved to 71 Bounary Hill, Lower Gornal. This was a council owned home and much more comfortable than their previous house. Arthur and Rose spent 50 years living in this house. Their two story semi-detached house was included, in later years, in a scheme to modernize all council houses. Old wooden, drafty, window frames were replaced and downstairs toilets added and a new heating system installed. With bitterly cold winters this latest addition was very welcomed. Prior to this being done the children of Art and Rose can recall it being so cold inside their bedrooms that icicles would form on the internal pipes in their rooms. The family grew by four more children in this house. Gillian, Kevin, Sheila and Trevor were all born here. Arthur suffered a stroke and it was decided a smaller single storied house was needed and the move was made to 15 Church Street, Gornal Wood. For Rose this was her final move. Rose died whilst living here in August 2006. Some of her ashes were taken to Windsor Great Park and scattered at a place along The Long Walk and some scattered in the Gornal Crematorium Summer Garden .Art's family rallied around him and he was able to remain living here for a few more years. Arthur lost his eyesight and was unable to get about unaided and was placed in a nursing home where he died on the 17th December 2009. His ashes joined Rose's in the Summer Garden at Gornal Crematorium and a Rose was planted in their memory.
The family taking Rose's ashes to scatter near the Long Walk at Windsor Castle
Also visit WARBY FAMILY TREE
Also visit EDMEAD FAMILY TREE