Anthony Arthur Warby was born in1950 to parents Arthur Warby and June 'Rose' Edmead . At the time of his birth his parents were living at 55 Grosvenor Road, Lower Gornal, Sedgley. This is situated in England's Black Country District. Anthony is known by his family and friends as Tony. At the time of his birth his father was a Machine Fitter at Baggeridge Brickworks and his mother, who had previously worked at the 'Scrim', stopped work to become a full time mother and housewife. Tony was the first of six children born to Rose and Art. He was baptized by Walter Hooley at St. Paul's Protestant Church in Lower Gornal on the 12th February 1950 (see baptism certificate below).

 Tony was educated at the Roberts Street Infants School and Junior School. He past his 11+ and was awarded a scholarship. He spent the remainder of his school years at High Arcal Grammar School. It was hard for the council house kid to fit in with the children from wealthy families. A will to succeed and obtain the trappings of wealth was spawned during his years at the Grammar School.

  It was around this time in his life that Tony wanted to become a Rock Star. He hungered for everything stardom offered ... money, women, travel and fast cars. To get his career off the ground he started to mix with the right people. He set about helping to organize the Youth Club with Vic Green. They called it The Phoenix due to the fact it rose from the disused and redundant cookery block at Red Hall School. He frequented the Ruiton Youth Club known as the Quarry Club. His love of music and the need to mix with the big names of show bizz (although all were relatively unknowns at this time) saw Tony traveling to see their gigs ... only as far away as Wolverhampton ... but it was travel none the less.


 Here he got to see such up and coming artists of the likes of The Beatles, The Who, The Hollies, Led Zeplin, Eric Clapton in Cream, Rod Stewart in the Small Faces, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Cliff and The Inbetweens who later known as Slade. The last band was Tony's greatest brush with stardom ... He tells of a time when he was running the Disco tech at Ellowes Hall (he thinks it was) when his microphone mysteriously disappeared. The Inbetweens (aka Slade) made an appearance one particular evening and Tony holds the belief, rightly or wrongly, that it was his microphone that gave the Inbetweens their big break. Because of it the world heard The Inbetweens and he still feels it should have been him, and not them, to have gone on to become a household name in every country of the world. Tony was dealt a devastating blow when he lost his microphone and the traumatic event altered his path into the future. He lost heart and left behind his dream of stardom and decided to become a Mechanical Engineer instead. To this day if our neighbors listen carefully they can hear that it is true that old rockers never die and music lives on in Tony to this day (see photograph on right below).


   His adolescent years were interlaced with youthful leisure activities of the time. Tony's love of fishing can be traced back to his Uncle Ken Warby who first took him fishing. He caught his first fish using a bamboo rod with a split cane top. A collectors item nowadays. He would divide his time between fishing in the Marl Hole on the Himley Road, in the Pensnett Pools and in the local canals. When he was old enough to venture further afield he would fish in the River Severn.

A youthful and much frowned upon activity of the youngsters of the time was for Tony and his friends to high jack, and ride, the coal trucks (like one seen in the photograph above). The rail line ran from Baggeridge Colliery to the Round Oak Steel Works. The coal truck would travel to and fro. The local lads would find adventure in jumping aboard a coal truck and taking the wild ride down the line. When the truck hit the up-hill incline, at the Marl Hole, the boys would jump free of the trucks to safety before being caught or seen.

Scrumping is another name for the art of stealing fruit. This was another frowned upon activity. Tony and his friends could not resist playing their part in the scrumping activities of the village. A local couple, Jo and Ester Truck, lived in a house opposite the Fiddle. The local rogues scrumped most of the fruit from their Damson tree. Tony's youth was also the era of the local plod Sargent Pask. He had the power, and used it, to frighten the living daylights out of young thieves and hooligans. Fright alone was never enough for Sargent Pask and he somehow arranged for further punishment to be waiting for the boys when they returned home. When Tony was not pinching fruit from little old ladies he was helping them across the road. Tony was a Scout. On the 30th October 1960, at the age of ten years and ten months, he was awarded his house orderly badge (see certificate above). The examiner was his mother J R Warby and his Cubmaster was P Jackson.

Anthony Warby married twice (left 1st wife) Lynne  &  (right 2nd wife) Joanne & his children (centre botton R-L)
Donna & David and his six grandchildren - William, Charlotte, Thomas, Alex, Dylan & Joshua

Having abandoned his dreams of stardom and fame Tony (centre of photograph above) became a family man. He married his first wife Lynne Franks (top left in photograph above) in 1969 and their daughter Donna Lynne was born in 1971 (bottom centre of photograph above). Tony, Lynne and Donna emigrated to Australia in 1972. The marriage did not survive. Lynne returned to England taking Donna with her. Donna married Michael Pardy. Tony married a second time in 1976 to Joanne Claire Hooper (top right of photograph above) - the author of this website Marking Time. Tony and Joanne's son David Anthony Warby was born in 1977.

Further information on the
WARBY family can be found at: